1) Top of the Charts: Students will be brought to the carpet each morning with by a featured song. This song will be based on the concepts we will be learning about in social studies or science.
2) The Date: Students will record the date for our daily news in 3 ways. i.e. Monday, July 25th, 2016. Mon., Jul. 25, 2016. 25/07/16 While the volunteer is writing the date, the other students can sing: Days of the Week Song ~Adam’s Family Tune~ There’s Sunday & there’s Monday There’s Tuesday & there’s Wednesday There’s Thursday & there’s Friday And then there’s Saturday! Days of the week-clap-clap Days of the week-clap-clap Days of the week Days of the week Days of the week-clap-clap!
Months of the Year Song: January, February, March and April May, June, July and August September, October, November, December Twelve months in the year! Clap-clap
3) Breaking News: PART 1: Students first read our message for content such as:
Current events relevant to our classroom and school
Problems the student have encountered in class or the playground and written to our Advice Column for help. Here we have 2 students from our class use our classroom scripts to solve these problems peacefully.
On Mondays the Students will be read their Happy Monday Messages during this time.
PART 2: Students use their knowledge of writing conventions to act as editors and proofread the morning message.
4) Toronto’s Daily Forecast: Students will stick the corresponding weather icon onto a map of Toronto. They will also record the temperature on our classroom thermometer, in a bar graph and line graph.
5) Lottery Numbers:
Students will roll 2 class dice and add the total to our homemade thousands chart (i.e., if they roll 12 they will add 12 additional numbers).
They will be presented with 5 lottery numbers and asked to identify the pattern in the numbers (i.e., 122, 124, 126, 128, 130 =skip counting by 2s or 12, 24, 36, 48, 60=counting by 12).
Students will use the number of the day to complete an algebraic expression that incorporates addition, subtraction and number families (i.e., 134-[ ]=127 127+[ ]=134)
Students will record the number of the day in its:
Standard Form: 245
Expanded Form: 200+40+5
Word Form: Two hundred and forty-five
6) Stock Report: Here, one student each day will be able to purchase stocks from our classroom general store. Students can earn money in the following ways Classroom Payment:
Co-Teaching a Lesson: 25 cents
Reading their Work to the Class: 10 cents
Being Reader of the Day: 10 cents
Performing a Book Talk
10 cents-Book from Class 15 cents-Book from Home 20 cents-Library Book 25 cents-Homemade Book
Being Nominated by a Peer as the Most Respectful Listener: 10 cents
Completing a Bonus Homework Book (All personalized by level and interest): $1.00
As a class we will subtract the amount of their purchase from the balance in their banks. i.e., $2.25-$1.20= $1.05. This amount is recorded using written numbers and concrete money manipulatives.)
7)Time: Students will record the time we started reading our morning paper. This will be presented as a time on the hour i.e., 9:00am at first. The next step will be teaching the students how to count the minute hand by 5s i.e. 9:15am and finally how to add single minutes on top of this i.e., 9:17am. We will also calculate the elapsed time that we finished our Daily News.
8) Radio Break: Here students will sing and dance to the daily math song to help solidify a concept we are learning in class. I.e. Counting by 2s or 3D shapes.
Create your own unique website with customizable templates.